Another farewell Nicaraguan style

On Wednesday I was invited to Las Pilas, Marvin and Lourdes accompanied me with little Marcel. When we arrived the local education delegate was there so I met him. That ticked off another item on my list and I was able to clarify things with him. Apparently the previous management of the school didn't let him use the Wi-Fi. ! I clarified that straight away.
We were seated to await a little presentation.
It began with a lovely poem recited by the little girl in the middle. This was followed by local folk dancing in national costume, one to the local tune of Ometepe which Marvin recorded so I can listen when I go home!





After this we shared some lunch and coffee. I ate a little knowing that Sylvia was also cooking. So I ate a little of two lunches so as not to offend anyone!
Everyone is very friendly, looking forward to my next visit. They all tell me I am welcome in their homes and I sense they mean it. That is how things are here.
We finished with a photo with the flag. The children start their sessions with a prayer and the national song with the school and national flag.

We returned to Marvin's house and I just had to capture the photo of Marvin taking Lou and Marcel on his bike!


After a couple of hours chatting on the verandah, watching pigs run in and out, banana lorries pass by and cattle being driven along the street,  I went with Jordy to Rafaela Herrera, where I paid over the remaining money to the school account for the repair of the printer and next priorities. The headteacher thinks that more instruments will be important and I am in agreement with this. We have documented everything and I will get the papers copied tomorrow. Both schools have signed our agreement.
Then we went to the classes and distributed biros and pencils to all the children.



There were lots of hugs, some children recognised me from last year. All seemed very happy. The head showed me one child whose pencil was about an inch long. He said, when they see a child in that situation they will donate one from the stock they now have.
On Friday the head will have the parent's signatures for the uniform.
At the end we got out the two donated instruments and took photos of the children trying to play. This caused a lot of amusement. The teacher Francisco managed a scale, and one child got a reasonable sound. Clearly this will need some training! 




Another successful day with more accomplished. And an invitation to return on Friday for a meeting with Macy from Rotary and a surprise! Thursday is a day off! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 achievements and plans

The effect of the economic crisis

More family outings.