More activities

On Tuesday Patrick came to Rafaela Herrera to follow up the work on the water tank. Unfortunately they had  managed to lose the ball valve in the process of cleaning.  Marvin found the ball valve but not the arm, and as it was broken any way we decided a new one was needed. It's a bit difficulties I'm trying to translate for Patrick who makes little Spanish. I funds it a bit embarrassing as I'm used to speaking Spanish with everyone here. Fortunately there is a teacher Uzuel  who teaches English and he has helped too.  Patrick's a bit judgemental, uding phrases like, I can't understand why they do this or that, and you'd think at least they'd.. ...etc. He made comments like this about the latrines, not really understanding that if there's not  water coming through all the time, and if water has to be paid for, then of course people will use traditional latrines. And there's nothing wrong with them if they are dug correctly providing you don't mind outdoor ablutions!
Anyway progress was made and similarly at Las Pilas,  with a shopping list collected.



This will go some way to sorting out the sanitation project. 

I was completely exhausted when we got back to Marvin's as it's quite a long walk to Las Pilas without much shade. I didn't even feel hungry, but after a little food, some drink  and a rest I felt much better. 
I was ready for my lesson in making cajetas with Marvelli.   We went to Marvelli' s house, but actually we cooked in the family home next door. There were several homes around a courtyard and a coral with cattle, and a barn which was an old tobacco oven. One thin and ancient horse, Marvelli said was given to her by an aunt when she was younger. These are used to collect the wood they use for cooking, the various cattle belonged to members of the family.  This is the wealth people have, their homes which are built bit by bit with family help and any animals they have.  I imagine this is one of the more wealthy families as Hemer and Marvelli work in schools and will therefore have had a regular salary for some years.  
I was invited into the home where I met the mother. She was clearly in poor health and somewhat confused.  It appears she had worked for many years in the tobacco industry and that it is likely the chemicals have affected her. Marvin described how many if these parents of this age had experienced a very poor and difficult life. 
We went into the kitchen, which had a cooker, a construction of brick and concrete with a fire lit within it. The smoke filtered out through the roof and I had to escape on several occasions. When I saw the black tar on the inside of the roof, I couldn't help but worry about the state of their lungs and eyes.   The sink was also concrete and this was outside the window. Quite a clever arrangement as the drains are often smelly.  There was a sloping tin roof to protect from the rain and it was accessed through a window with a wooden shelter. 

  Now cajetas are a Nicaraguan delicacy a bit like fudge.  

They are made with cow's milk, and Hemer had been off on his motor bike to get some.  It is not usually sold, I imagine because of heat and lack of fridges, and maybe people who want it have their own cow. Powdered milk is the norm.

2.5 litres of milk when into the pan with some cinnamon and it had to boil. 1kg of sugar was added, it looked like granulated although I have seen brown block sugar in the supermarket. 

The cats came and joined us as well as several dogs and later the turkey.

I had a turn in the process, a long and hot job as it had to boil until it reduced and thickened but without burning. We added some strawberry flavour. 

Marvin took his turn.

Then it had to be checked and cooled which involved stirring it rapidly for some time. I'm thinking the fridge will come in useful here!



Then it was kneeaded like pastry until it was flat, ( I will be using the rolling pin.)
And cut into triangles. All that was left was to eat It! So we returned to Marvin's where it was shared with the family and I took a couple of bits home with me. 
Before kneading I had adked to wash my hands, but there is a distinct lack of this, particularly with children and toilets. Apparently there isn't much illness so I can only assume they develop good immunity!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 achievements and plans

The effect of the economic crisis

Preparing for 2019 trip