Progress in Ometepe

I am now preparing for my annual visit.  This year I will visit for around 7 weeks;  there is more to do, more to check and evaluate than before.  This year we have helped the secondary school and two primaries, plus three rural satellite schools.  I want to have time to do this when it is possible without applying pressure on anyone, and also to have time to become even better acquainted.

We have had some good news and some bad news.
In September I received photos of a funeral for a 6 year old who had died of a heart attack.  Earlier in the year a young girl from Santa Teresa died in a road accident. The headteacher and pupils were involved in the funeral.

The good news, was to hear that the Rotary grant we had applied for had come through.  So Daniel and Pedro Antonio have been busy making furniture for the musical instruments and tables for instruction, and securing the doors and fitting locks so that the new equipment will be safe.






Once again we will be buying uniforms, there is a list of 105 this year and this week parents have come t the school and are gathering measurements for the sizes.  The local shop will supply, so the school has called a meeting of parents so  that the children can be measured and the shop will then order the sizes.  Marvin is seeking help for storage until I arrive.  Then it will be the massive sort out!



Containers are on their way from Peace and Hope, so I am expecting a mountain of boxes to unpack and sort too.  Then there will be the purchase of remaining items from the Rotary grant. We have found a firm in Managua that has them in stock and is prepared to keep them if we supply a deposit.   We are planning to organise the collection for the day of my arrival when I fly into Managua.  My colleagues, Hemer and Marvin will come up by road to meet me and we will do the shopping then.


 And they can help with the extra luggage I will be taking including things for the school,and family.  Computer covers, clothing ( which can no longer be sent), footwear and paper bags for the teacher stationery- I try to set an example with the absence of plastic but fear I cannot take enough for 105 uniforms. And of course, all the things I might need for 7 weeks in Ometepe.  Not many clothes, but some food and beverage supplies are helpful, as are medical equipment.

The school has won some prizes too, for the pupils' academic success, for being the cleanest school in the district, and for football.  In fact Santa Teresa, the secondary and Rafaela Herrera got through to the district or national levels.  It is very competitive.


 The primary school has used some of its monthly funds to make a flag for their special occasions.  These purchases will be aided by the reduction in internet costs from September, as we renewed our contract.  I get a full detailed financial report before sending the next months'  funds through, with all receipts.  If they don't arrive, I pester til I get them.  The message has now been understood that all funds must be documented.


The costumes we provided are being well used.  I will check that they have appropriate storage for them.  The instruments are also in use although there are not enough for all the band.



The fritura is tres y snd Boeing delivered and received with great joy! It's all hands on deck, no delivery vans.



The containers have arrived in Nicaragua, and now await release from customs. This can take several weeks but Valeria from Peace and Hope has everything under control! Then it's all about who and how yo deliver to Ometepe and lots of unpacking when I get there.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 achievements and plans

The effect of the economic crisis

More family outings.